Residence and Nationality
Procedures foreigners must follow in order to obtain a temporary or permanent resident status in Turkey:
As of the 1st of February 2012, the total period of stay allowed for foreigners as tourists in Turkey became 90 days.
For this, if you intend to stay in Turkey for a period longer than 90 days, or if you plan to move to live in Turkey, you must submit a residence permit application before the expiry of your tourist visa.
Types of residence permits in turkey:
Depending on the purpose of residence of a foreign person in Turkey, there’re four types of residence permits:
- A long-term residence permit
- A short-term residence permit
- Family residence permit
- Demanded residence permit
Short-term residence permits are issued for a maximum of 12 months. They are granted for those foreigners who own immovable real estate in Turkey or those who intend to establish a business or commercial connections in Turkey
In terms of long-term residence permits, foreigners who have continuously resided in Turkey for at least eight years- without passing more than 120 days in one year outside Turkey-have the right to apply for a long-term residence permit.
How to apply for a residence permit in Turkey:
As of 18th of May 2015, the procedures related to obtain residence permit have became easier and can be accomplished online by filling the relevant application form in General Directorate of Immigration Administration website
1. You can visit the webpage of the General Directorate of Immigration Administration at https://e-ikamet.goc.gov.tr and fill the residence permit application form online.
2. Be sure that you have gotten all the relevant documents required by the General Directorate of Immigration Administration for the full completion of your application.
3. An appointment date shall be reserved for first-time applicants from the General Directorate of Immigration Administration office where the foreigner is planning to stay during his/her residency in Turkey. The applicants will be required to present him/herself to the relevant Immigration Administration office at such date along with all the required documents
4. Your application will be fully assessed by the General Directorate, and in case some documents are missing or incorrectly-filled, you will be imparted 30 days to submit theses documents correctly and complete your application.
5. The residence permit will be issued within a 90-day period since the approval of your application.The issued permit will be couriered to the designated address of the applicant in Turkey.
6. Residence permits are usually issued for a period ranging from 6 months to 5 years based on the type of residency approved.
Estimated costs of getting a residence permit:
The application fees are estimated by the system of the General Directorate of Immigration in Turkey, based on the nationality of the applicant, duration, and the type of residence permit.
In addition, there are some fixed costs to be paid including the administrative fees related to obtain your residence card: 58 Turkish Lira - as of 2016.
This is in addition to the health Insurance, which is mandatory for those who are under the age of 65. The costs of Health Insurance vary according to the age of the applicant.
On average, the cost of a one-year residence is about $ 450- $ 500.
Documents required for the completion of an application:
First-time applicants must be sure that they have got all the following documents:
1. Residence permit application form
2. A passport (the original document and a copy) – Please note that your passport must be valid for at least 60 days after the expiry date of the permit you requested.
3. Four passport-size photographs taken within the past 6 months.
4. A document with all the financial resources you’ll be relying on during your residence period in Turkey.
5. A tax. Number issued by the Tax Administration
6. An official document proving your ownership of immovable properties
7. A valid health insurance, knowing that people aged more than 65 or less that 18 are exempted from health insurance.
Who can apply for the Turkish Nationality?
In order to apply for the Turkish Nationality, applicants need to meet the following conditions:
1. The applicant must be at majority age based on the regulations of his/her national judicial system – Usually the age of 18.
2. Permanent residence in Turkey over the past five years provided that the applicant have not passed more than 6 months outside of Turkey. But in case you’re a foreigner born on the Turkish lands, you must have lived in Turkey for three years.
3. You should show willingness to live in Turkey ( possessing properties, your own properties may help you in this)
4. A proof of the existence of the adequate financial resources to cover your stay in Turkey. Having a job in Turkey will be so helpful.
5. A primary level in Turkish is needed.
6. A proof of mental and physical health is also needed.
7. The applicant must not have any previous criminal act.
8. The application should be submitted in the nearest Turkish consulate.